Monday, May 11, 2015

Durarara!!x2 Shou | Drrr!! (Anime)

My greetings to you all! Today I'm going to review another anime, which happens to be one of my favourites. I have watched the first season of Durarara after a friend harassed and pestered me for months telling me to watch it. And since our taste in anime is quite different I was pretty sure I wouldn't like this one either. I just decided to watch an episode, maybe two and drop it if it's bad.

But hey who would have guessed. I had never watched anything more cynical, more absurd, more nonsensical. The thing about Drrr is that its nonsense makes complete sense within the boundaries of this anime. Anyway, I watched it in one go. It was good. I was glad I watched it. But never did I expect to get a second season of it.

Last year around this time I learnt there was going to be a second season and that made me fucking happy, but as many I too was afraid the new season might screw up the story. But hey, it didn't!

Well let's get started :) BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

Durarara!!x2 Shou

The first couple of episodes didn't make any sense at all, but they were funny, and I felt like I was in Ikebukuro again. They managed to keep the same mood, even though they changed quite a bit of the soundtracks, however the new ones are just as good. Psychedelic is new to me, and I got introduced to this kind of music through Durarara. I can't imagine anything else fitting this anime any better!

We got introduced to a couple of new characters. Some of them I hated, some of them I liked.
I totally loved the Russian hitman girl Vorona (crow). I especially enjoyed her back-story. A book girl, somebody who finds salvation in books, somebody who uses those books to learn everything. It was really cool to see a character who reads a lot of books being portrayed as a badass girl, rather than a geek or a nerd.
The other Russian character though, Slon (elephant) was goddamn annoying. A guy who asks questions all the times, and the answers arise new questions for him. But these two were a nice duo, one asks the questions, the other answers them.

Most characters didn't change. They were the same, the show was the same, I was glad everything was the same. To a degree it made me facepalm sometimes :D

There is really not much to say about Durarara. The show speaks for itself. So I'll fast forward to Cons and Pros. And here we go:

Cons:
1. I guess this one was a bit too fast-paced for my liking, but hey it had it's own charm.
2. Some characters got a bit annoying, like Kida for me, even tho he was cool at first, he ended up being a complete wimp in this season. Mikado was just as useless. In my opinion he needs a bit more development.
3. Even more randomness in this season which got me confused a lot.

Pros:
1. So cynical you can't stop laughing. Pretty much every phrase in this anime is gold.
2. Shizaya action. Those two are just amazing. Both of them in their own league. The moment when Shizuo learnt Izaya cornered him his smile was oh so fucking precious!
3. Celty fucking Sturulson.
4. The show ends with such a cliffhanger you would have never saw coming. I mean who would expect THAT Izaya getting stabbed just like that?!
5. And one more thing.. look at these screenshots! They relay more than any words can ever say.




6. One more thing. Some anime have splendid animation and Durarara happens to be one of them.


Anyway! I give this 8.5 points out of 10. A great show, maybe a bit fast-paced, but you'll get to laugh a lot :)

Thanks for reading! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment